This Ax shaped cloth patch; black ax with red border can be earned by Boy Scouts who meet and fulfill the following requirements.
Study the Boy Scout Handbook and the Camping merit badge pamphlet, and demonstrate to your Scoutmaster or other qualified person the following:
- Show that you have earned the Totin' Chip.
- Help a Scout or patrol earn the Totin' Chip, and demonstrate to him (them) the value of proper woods-tools use on a troop camping trip.
- With official approval and supervision, do one of the following:
- Clear trails or fire lanes for two hours.
- Trim a downed tree, cut into four-foot lengths, and stack; make a brush with branches.
- Build a natural retaining wall or irrigation way to aid in a planned conservation effort.