How to Pick Your Campfire Spot
Follow these steps when picking your campfire spot to help prevent wildfires.
- 1 DO NOT build a campfire if the campground, area or event rules prohibit them. Sometimes digging of pits may be prohibited due to archaeological or other concerns.
- 2 DO NOT build a campfire in hazardous, dry conditions.
- 3 FIND OUT if the campground has an existing fire ring or fire pit.
- 4 If there is not an existing fire pit, and pits are allowed, choose a site at least 15 feet from tent walls, shrubs, trees or other flammable objects. Beware of low-hanging branches.
- 5 Choose an open, level location away from heavy fuels such as logs, brush or decaying leaves.
- 6 Take wind, and its direction, into account when choosing the site. Choose a spot that’s protected from gusts.
Download Smokey's Campfire Safety Checklist below.